Doctors of chiropractic are trained in many chiropractic techniques. If you’ve ever visited a chiropractor, you’ve likely experienced different kinds of treatments. And while some chiropractors practice exclusively in a certain technique, others prefer a different approach. Dr. Lynelle McSweeney here in Reno takes a holistic, multi-technique approach to chiropractic. Here’s why.
DIFFERENT OPTIONS FOR DIFFERENT PATIENTS
In recognition that every patient, and every person, is unique and has different needs and desires, Dr. McSweeney prefers to have multiple chiropractic techniques and treatments at her disposal. She finds the notion that a single technique will work effectively for everyone too limiting. After all, we are all different – doesn’t it make sense that our individual needs for care will also be different? When you visit Dr. Lynelle McSweeney’s practice in Reno, you may experience a number of different treatments and techniques to address your symptoms.
- Activator Method: Dr. McSweeney often uses an activator, which is a handheld instrument that she can use to apply a gentle, controlled force to the spine and extremities. This method may also involve analysis of the legs and their impact on the hips and spine. The activator is an excellent choice for many people, including pediatric patients or those with chronic conditions like arthritis or osteoporosis.
- Spinal Manipulation: This is a common chiropractic technique that involves spinal adjustments with specific attention to the spine and its surrounding muscles to improve function. Instead of adjusting someone head to toe every time they come in, Dr. McSweeney finds it most effective to test which nerves are compromised and adjust only those affected.
- Extremity Manipulation: Chiropractic isn’t limited to just to the spine! Extremity manipulation is a technique that can be used on joints outside of the spine. Improving mobility in extremity joints can reduce stress on the spinal column. This is how Dr. McSweeney can help people dealing with things like carpal tunnel, knee problems, and many shoulder issues.
- Thompson Drop Chiropractic Technique: This techniques uses a special drop table to make adjustments, often combined with multiple gentle thrusts. As the joint receives that gentle force, the table drops, which helps Dr. McSweeney target the specific joint or tissue. This method also involves analyzing leg length and their correlation to the pelvis and spine. It’s particularly effective for deep adjustments while still ensuring mildness for joints and discs.
- Gonstead Chiropractic Technique: The Gonstead Technique was developed in 1923 and remains one of the most recognizable forms of treatment. It uses different levels of pressure to address misalignment and fixations throughout the spine. Dr. McSweeney’s approach is to adjust only the rotations or fixed joints with a specific and gentle motion.
THE BENEFIT OF OPTIONS
A chiropractor may be just what you need if you’ve been experiencing neck, back or hip pain, or you have symptoms that may suggest other conditions. But before you go to a chiropractor who is limited to a single form of treatment, consider your options. Dr. McSweeney knows that every patient is unique, and using a mix of chiropractic techniques means she can address every patient’s unique conditions.
Learn more about what you might expect at your first appointment, and schedule a visit today.