Would you be surprised to learn that back pain is the second most common reason Americans visit their doctor? Increasingly, people are interested in options beyond medication and surgery, which means more and more patients are exploring chiropractic for treatment with back and neck pain. But that’s not all chiropractic care offers. Here are nine benefits of chiropractic care and where to find it in Reno.
BENEFITS OF CHIROPRACTIC
- Relieves neck pain. For people who spend a lot of time on the phone, slumped at a desk, or generally have poor posture, neck pain can be commonplace. Some research shows that spinal manipulation can be a more effective treatment than pain medications because it helps realign the spine and relieves tension in surrounding muscles that could be contributing to your pain.
- Reduces back pain. Chiropractic care can be a good alternative to surgery or injections. Plus, the American College of Physicians recommends that doctors advise patients with chronic low back pain to explore non-medication treatments like chiropractic care, yoga, and even exercise.
- Minimizes need for OTC pain relievers. Over-the-counter and even prescription opioid pain relievers are often used to manage pain, but relieving pressure and pain via chiropractic care can minimize the need for these kinds of medications. One study found that adults who saw a chiropractor were less likely to fill a prescription for opioid medications.
- May reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis. Cartilage degeneration in joints can create painful friction between the bones, and chiropractic adjustments that align the joints can help reduce the amount they rub together.
- Reduces headache symptoms. Tension in the neck and upper back can lead to headaches, and chiropractic care can help relieve the tension to minimize symptoms.
- Helps improve posture. Poor posture creates its own issues, and sedentary lifestyles aren’t helping. Issues stemming from poor posture, including back and neck pain and headaches, can be improved with spinal alignments and other chiropractic techniques.
- May help support athletic performance and recovery time. Chiropractic care can increase joint mobility, reduce pain, and minimize tissue restriction, which may improve athletic performance and hasten recovery times.
- A high level of satisfaction. Patients who pursue chiropractic care regularly report high levels of satisfaction with their treatment and its effects.
FINDING A CHIROPRACTOR IN RENO
If you’re new to chiropractic, friends and family members are a good place to seek a recommendation. It’s wise to schedule a consultation before beginning treatment too. Here at Dr. McSweeney’s Reno practice, she offers a holistic, multi-technique approach to chiropractic care and is happy to answer all of your questions relating to your care. Learn more about what to expect at your first visit, or schedule an appointment today.