Pregnancy is an amazing time, but you know what’s not so amazing? All the aches and pains that go along with it! As that belly grows, there’s increasing pressure on your spine and pelvis. The result? Serious low back pain. Regular chiropractic care during your pregnancy can be a downright lifesaver – and not just for your back. Here’s why the chiropractor is your best friend when you’re pregnant.
Growing Belly, Aching Back
There are a few culprits for that low back pain many pregnant women complain about.
- That belly! Your ever-protruding abdomen is one of them. To compensate, you may be arching your back more, even if you don’t know it.
- Pelvic changes. Ligaments are softening everywhere, including in your pelvis. That can affect alignment.
- Posture adaptations. Your posture is changing to accommodate that belly, and that can have an adverse affect on your spine too.
Good for You, Good for Baby
Balance and alignment to your spine and your pelvis is especially important during pregnancy. Not only will you find relief from back, neck and join paint, your baby benefits in a few ways too.
- When the pelvis is out of alignment, it can minimize space for your baby. This restriction of space is known as intrauterine constraint.
- A misaligned pelvis can also made it tricky for your baby to get into the best possible position for delivery, which could increase the likelihood that your baby moves into a breech or posterior position.
Other great reasons for routine chiropractic care during pregnancy? It can help you control symptoms of nausea (goodbye, morning sickness!), reduce time spent in labor and delivery and help you maintain a healthier, stronger pregnancy.
Even if you’ve never been to a chiropractor before, pregnancy is a great time to start. As a mom of three herself, Dr. McSweeney knows exactly what you’re going through, and she’s ready to help you feel better. Schedule your first appointment now, and see how Dr. McSweeney can make a big difference during your pregnancy.